Friday, December 12, 2014

Studying Vocabulary

Whether you are trying to strengthen and broaden your vocabulary the key is regular learning new words and adding them to your active vocabulary.
I won't be very original if I say, that reading is one of the most effective ways to get new vocabulary. When you read, you see words being used in context, what is more EFFECTIVE than merely memorizing word lists.With context information surrounding each new word, there’s a good chance you can guess its meaning just by understanding the overall text. 
I speak not only about reading classical literature. You can read different international newspapers and magazines online, like The Economist or The Guardian, and also a variety of blogs on different topics. 


The next resource that is great to use for improving you vocabulary is vocabulary.com. I discovered this great website during my studying here and I am extremely happy about it. You can make your own lists of words, learn their precise meaning and the context of usage. Moreover you can check the pronunciation and master new words with the help of games.

Though there are a plenty of online resources for studying language, I still use some conservative ways of learning. I make some visual tricks for my brain: I write some new words on the black-board in my room and in such a way I see them every day and memorize them subconsciously. I don't spend time just standing and reading those words, I look at them sometime when I walk in my room or while doing different tasks. I've noticed that in some time these words become familiar to you and if you meet them somewhere you already know the meaning.

I think it's also important to communicate in English as much as possible. You will be able to use your new words in your speech and in such a way remeber them better, also you can learn something new from another person.

1 comment:

  1. You are the only student I know who has a whiteboard in her room! Nice idea!

    ReplyDelete